WELCOME

I was surfing the Internet one day and I noticed that Saskatchewan had unlocked their citizens locked in pensions 100% when they were transferred from a locked in retirement account ((L.I.R.A.)) into a Fund where they would be able to start collecting from . (( we will call the unlocked fund a registered retirement income fund R.R.I.F. )) The name varies a little bit Province to Province. I was surfing a bit more and I found that Manitoba had Unlocked 50% of the locked in funds in their province for their people. (( They are currently being lobbied to unlock the remaining 50% )) I then begin to think (( and that is hard to do sometimes )) Ontario being a progressive Province. Why is Ontario not unlocking these funds for their people. Considering that this is very unjust and cruel legislation keeping these funds Locked in when a person reaches Retirement age. Many of us were lead to belive when we contributed to the Defined Contribution Fund and reached the age of retirement that we could draw on our funds at will. Not be controlled by the Government and only allowed to remove basically the interest on the funds from 2.5% to 11% depending how good the fund was doing. This our OWN MONEY not Government Money. It is not OAS or CPP.

Friday, March 13, 2009

MPP Frank Klees Requesting LIF's be Unlocked

Hi Everybody ;

Here is a transcript of the discussion between Mr. Frank Klees ( Newmarket - Aurora PC Party ) and Hon. Minister Aileen Carroll . ( Minister Responsible for Seniors ) .
I question the title Hon. , but then that is just my opinion.

The first time I sent a letter to Ms. Carroll concerning the issue with locked in pensions . She was so kind to let me know that I was not in her constituency . I then wrote her another letter asking her if she was the Minister Responsible for Seniors , If so , was she not supposed to be responsible for all seniors in Ontario and again asked her to help correct the unjustness of locked in pensions .

I received no response . I am also aware of others of you that had the same problem with this minister when asking for her help in unlocking locked in pensions .

After reading her answer to Mr Klees even after he asked her the same question twice . This is what she came up with "I have not had an opportunity to speak to the Minister of Finance at the federal level; I leave that to my colleague in cabinet to do so. "

It is very obvious that the letters that were sent to her concerning locked in pensions were thrown in the garbage , She obviously never even looked at the issue .

If she had she would have known that there are a few hundred thousand Senior Retire's in Ontario that have locked in pensions under Ontario Provincial Rule . NOT Federal Rule ,

Just plain incompetent and she is being paid by us the tax payer to represent Seniors in Government .

If any of you would like to drop a letter to Minister Carroll and let her know that we are taking notes . Please feel free to do so .



Below is the Transcript and I think we owe the Progressive Conservative Party a big thanks for taking this issue on .

You all Take Care Bill C

Senior citizens

Mr. Frank Klees: To the Minister Responsible for Seniors: Seniors across the province are not immune to the economic downturn. They’ve worked hard to put aside funds in a retirement account and they’re counting on that income to pay their day-to-day living expenses.

Many of those retirement accounts are eroded. The income from those retirement accounts is considerably less than it has been. My question is this: Has the Minister Responsible for Seniors advocated with the Minister of Finance to allow seniors in this province to have access to 100% of their locked-in retirement accounts, and if not, why not?

Hon. M. Aileen Carroll: I can assure the honourable member that, the Seniors’ Secretariat being part of my portfolio, I am cognizant of the pressures of this economy on seniors in Ontario. I take every opportunity to convey to the Minister of Finance my concerns on issues such as elder abuse, and the fiscal impact as well. The property tax initiative, of course, was a response to that very dilemma, and it was done by this government in advance of the current economic malaise that we are now dealing with.

Be assured, honourable member, that I will continue to advocate on their behalf to the best of my ability.

The Speaker (Hon. Steve Peters): Supplementary?

Mr. Frank Klees: My question was very specific. Seniors from across the province are asking for the right to their own money. This is money that seniors have put aside through their hard work for the day that we now have, and that is when they are in need. This is their money. Under current legislation, they cannot access their own retirement funds. It will take an act of this Legislature to open up those locked-in retirement accounts.

I’d like to know from the minister, has she specifically made the request of the minister to include that measure in the next budget, and if she hasn’t, will she commit today that that will in fact be her request of the Minister of Finance on behalf of seniors across the province?

Hon. M. Aileen Carroll: As I assured the honourable member, I have and continue to convey my concerns and those of seniors in Ontario to the Minister of Finance. As the honourable member knows, we took measures to allow seniors more access in the budget of 2007. Unfortunately, the honourable member chose to vote against it.

There are indeed a number of aspects of this particular dilemma that belong in the federal domain. I have not had an opportunity to speak to the Minister of Finance at the federal level; I leave that to my colleague in cabinet to do so. But I can only assure the House and the member that many of the initiatives that we have taken are assisting these seniors in these turbulent times. I would look for his support when we bring in a very, very excellent budget in a couple of weeks’ time.

No comments:

Post a Comment